Friday, May 14, 2010

Vantine's, New York

I still collect new postcards of places I visit, so I can perfectly understand someone visiting an interesting store in New York City 100 years ago and, instead of mailing it, pasting it in a scrapbook.

There is quite a bit of history about Vantine's on the internet, including great background on Mr.Vantine himself. Read this 1911 guide to the store, then scroll down on the same page for an update, including how the mob came to own it and used the store as a front for drug smuggling!

At first I thought Vantine's might have been in Chinatown, but browsing through vintage paper dolls and other items at Eclectibles.com, I found an advertising fan from A.A.Vantine, located at Broadway and 18th Street.



Around 1914, the store moved to Fifth Ave. and 39th St. according to the New York Times archives, just about the time that Lord and Taylor's opened at 40th and 5th Ave. Vantine's went out of business in 1920, but then was reorganized by former employees and reopened in 1923, down the block from its Fifth Ave. location. Not clear when Vantine's shut down for good, but it was fun digging through the Times archives to find more clues.

Happy Postcard Friendship Friday, and be sure to visit all the other participants who sign in with Beth at The Best Hearts Are Crunchy.

12 comments:

  1. That must have been a really interesting store to visit. I would ave done exactly the same - bought a card and kept it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfectly wonderful postcard! I LOVE it!

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again a fascinating post. I love both the postcard and your detective work. Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I could have spent hours in that store, and then probably have only bought a postcard:-). Interesting history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The card is interesting and I enjoued reading about the store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting. I agree with Bob - thanks for the detective work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's a gorgeous card...does it have a linen finish? this post illustrates precisely why i collect cards as well...for the stories they tell! happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a very interesting history of this store! How fun to be such a great detective!

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. no linen finish on the card, but the colors are still quite nice! It was serendipity to find the Vantine fan at eclectibles.com!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great card and an adorable little store!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! I love postcards of interiors of stores. They are one of my favorites and so far for me kind of hard to find. I love this store! Looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete