Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

 

A very polite cat is content to gaze into the fire, and not disturb the unattended dinner table. My Penny would have been all over that spread! The spooky vapor script coming from the kettle--in addition to the black cat--gives this card a Halloween aura.

Raphael Tuck & Sons, series No. 123. Postmarked from Brooklyn, N.Y., 1908.

Mrs. Miller in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. received the following message, as best I can make out, from her mother:

Have heard nothing as yet from missing letter. Glad you spoke about J--. Please send me her address by return mail. Lovingly, Mother. Hope to see you all soon.



Was there a significance to an upside down stamp? One source says it meant "I love you" in Victorian times. Who could doubt that was exactly Mother's intent?

(By the way, I have an editorial in today's Ledger about the creep of the Black Friday shopping frenzy into this day of family reunion. It's my fear the deserted dinner table pictured in the postcard above will become a reality as more people head to the malls.)

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. It almost seems like the postcard hangs between Halloween and Thanksgiving with the layout of the illustration. Very nice though. I haven't seen this one before.

    ReplyDelete