Sunday, March 11, 2012

Hair coloring ads, 1936

Don't believe for a minute that women didn't strive for a youthful appearance even back in the days before Botox and plastic surgery became commonplace. These ads all come from the 1936 edition of Radio Stars. I was surprised at all the hair coloring ads; these are the ones I had time to scan in.



Women with straight hair want curly; curly heads like me usually want straight. In the 1960s, I tried a product called Curl Free with some success. In the 1930s, my thick wavy hair would have been the bee's knees.


Barbo! Coloring the gray at home is not something I would try.

Hey, bay rum in Barbo? What's that about.

An illustration of radio star Jessica Dragonette on the cover of the magazine. Artist Earl Christy captured the lovely waves in her au courant hair style.

You can comb through the other entries for Sepia Saturday by clicking the logo below.

6 comments:

  1. I wondered what you would come up with, given the theme, and whether you'd opt to follow it, or not...

    I remember in the 1960s, going with my mom to the hair salon, smelling the chemicals used to straighten or curl hair, bleach it and dye it...
    Not my best memories. I found the scents appaling, until I eventually subjected myself later on to a few of those things.
    Just glad I outgrew those concerns.

    The cover is especially stunning.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what happened to those solutions that were sold and homemade that made the gray go away apparently without coloring it. I haven't heard of any comparable products available today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I have a severe dislike for contemporary ads (I try to avoid commercial breaks as much as possible) I love to look at ads from the 30s and 40s. I have a Gene Tierney Lux Soap ad hanging in my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These days they advertise Grecian 2000 or men who are turning grey and want to hide the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always liked ads from the 1930s-1940s. Wonder how well the hair coloring products worked back then? Love the magazine cover - so vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing how far back one can go and discover just all the ways we've been given to be vain without pain! Great story!

    ReplyDelete