Sunday, April 1, 2012

Broad St., Newark, N.J., 1913



Dear Mother, --as the stores at N.Y. closes at noon we will not have anytime for shoping so Julia Lear & I are going over again next week. Was tickled to read your letter this morning. Have written the boys. Give them my best regards. Love to Harry & all. Lovingly your daughter.
I can't make out her name--Bertye? In any event, a sweet note to her mom, Mrs. L. Smith of German Valley in New Jersey.

Earlier pictures I posted near this intersection of Broad and Market (1906 here, and 1908 here) showed different angles on the street, but always bustling with activity. By 1913, the city looks more urbane, with more cars and more money. Autos still share the street with streetcars and horse carriages. The large buildings and signs speak of aspirations, and the growth to come.

To see some modern day streetcars, check out the article at The Atlantic Cities blog,  "The Streetcar as a City's Moving Symbol." The Milan model is quite appealing.

3 comments:

  1. I love the perspective of this card. It almost seems as if the photographer was kneeling on the ground. Makes the buildings look very imposing. Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing these old post cards from the late 19th an early 20th century. What I also enjoy is doing a Google maps search to see what the street looks like today from the same perspective. Quite a change!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I drive past the current Broad and Market every weekday on my way to work. Quite a change.

    ReplyDelete